Wednesday, September 25, 2013

They're Here.

I'm going to abandon (for now) the description of our area and dwell on two of my horses that arrived here today.

I own two saddlebred mares. One is 6 and the other is 16.  Harlem is the 6 year old.  She is dark bay and about 16 hands.  Rumor is the 16 year old.  She is chestnut and 15.3.  Both have been living away from me for the past two years.  The person I was boarding them with and I got into a disagreement over boarding fees and we had to have it settled by mediation with lawyers.  The up shot of the mediation is I now have my horses back.  They are thin, body score 3, ungroomed, with mane is knots,  not shiny at all.  I haven't had a good look at their hooves. Haven't been handled recently and keep trotting away from us.  Don't even want apples.

Anyhow, they arrived here at around 4:15 pm. 3 hours before they were suppose to show up.  I was still at work. Jon was here and directed where the horses were to go (into the round pen).  Then the driver wanted the code for payment.  Jon of course had no idea about any code.  About this time I showed up, much to Jon's relief, and got the payment code.   The horses were settled into the round pen, cropping grass as if they had never see it before.  Jon tossed out a bail of hay (timothy/orchard grass) and they nibbled on it and went back to cropping grass.  The enormous horse trailer pulls out after the driver assures me that the girls had been fine and well behaved on the trip from Efland.   the horses are still in their shipping halters and head helmets.  They look funny that way.

Everything settles down and I go get their blaze orange halters. I do live in a game land and the last thing I want is for some hunter to mistake my horses for deer. Harlem lets me pull the shipping halter off her and put on the new halter.  Rumor lets me take of the shipping halter the walks away.  I walk after her.  Jon watches holding the lunge whip in case I need help.  I catch up to Rumor and touch her neck, she trots away and Harlem follows her. No kicking at me so far, but I'm being careful.  Jon told me I was getting good exercise walking around after my horses.

I'll try and post pics tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment